Sunday 4 October 2015

Pink Fleece Tops

Mum gave me a large piece of pink fleece from her fabric stash last year. It took me a while to get to it but I have now used it to make two different tops, based on the same pattern. I know you are probably sick of hearing me rave about the Tilly and the Buttons Coco, but I find this pattern is a great base to work from.

The first top I made way back during Me Made May 15, and those who follow my blog got a sneak peak back then.


This was a straight size 5 with the boat neck and two front pockets. I have worn this a lot over winter as it's lovely and cosy in the fleece. The only draw back is that it seems to keep shrinking with every wash, despite pre-washing the fabric. The sleeves are now quite a bit too short.


The second top was based on the same pattern with quite a few changes. I straightened the side seams from the underarm down to the hem, removing all shaping to create a boxy effect. I borrowed the scoop neckline from the Sewaholic Renfrew as I have done before, and I cut a high - low hemline.


This top was really just a bit of an experiment and has resulted in a wearable muslin. I have learnt a bit during the process and there are things I will change for the next one.


A close up of the side slits and the overly exaggerated high - low hem. I will lengthen the front next time so the difference is less exaggerated.


I had intended to use a knit ribbing band to finish off the neckline, but when I pulled out the ribbing, the colour was not a good match. So I stabilised the edge with clear elastic, turned and top stitched with a twin needle. This worked out quite well. I am wearing it with my Grainline Archer blogged here. 

(These photos were taken during our overnight stay on a yacht in Pittwater, just north of Sydney, for our first wedding anniversary.)


Happy Sewing

11 comments:

  1. Great use of this pattern -- so nice when you find you that you can adapt and alter to your own tastes, in so many ways! ps - you look great in pink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melwyk. I see you have been doing a little of the same, with great results too. I love the pink with my light denim jeans.

      Delete
  2. I love the second one with the shirt worn underneath. It looks perfect for living the high life on a boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been quite a deviation from my usual style, however I think I like it. Maybe more of these in the future. The stay on the yacht was quite an experience and something special to celebrate our anniversary.Thanks for your comment Megan.

      Delete
  3. Yes, that second one is very special, and bears almost no resemblance to our beloved Coco. Mind you, I also love the first one. They are so different that you wouldn't think they are related by fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I'm having fun with tweaking my Coco pattern. Still some work to do yet.

      Delete
  4. Such a simple but very useful top. In fact your whole outfit is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ruth. I'm a big fan of simple sewing.

      Delete
  5. Great layering piece and no way you would recognise it as a Coco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. Just a few small tweaks to the pattern have made a big change, while retaining the great fit in the arms and shoulder area.

      Delete