Friday 15 January 2016

A Style Arc Ginger Knit Top for Jungle January

There's nothing like an animal print and a loose fitting top to camouflage those extra few pounds that have crept on over the festive season.


I managed to whip this top up over a couple of evenings during my first week back at work, and wore it to work on Friday with my Style Arc Barb Pants. I have made this top once before here, so it seemed easier the second time around.

Style Arc Ginger Knit Top

This top is really quite a simple, yet stylish design. The front shoulder pleats and the cross over wrap create a flattering fit, and the top works well with pants and would look great with a slim fitting skirt too.


The fabric is a gorgeous jersey purchased from Style Arc a while ago. It is very good quality with a lovely drape...perfect for this pattern.


There are only three pattern pieces: front, back and back neck binding. The back is the full pattern piece so it can be cut out in a single layer. You are supposed to cut one pair of the front piece, but I found this pattern piece was too wide to cut on a double layer (fabric folded in half), so I had to cut it out on a single layer too, carefully remembering to flip the pattern piece over so that I was cutting a pair, and not two identical pieces.


The wrong side of the fabric does peek out a little at the front hemline when standing a certain way. This was a huge issue with my first version and I had to remove a large wedge of fabric from the under layer to stop this occurring. I made this version exactly as per the instructions and have not had a problem, so I don't know what I did wrong with the first one.


The print was quite a large design and I was concerned with positioning the pattern evenly over the top. I didn't have a lot of fabric to play with so I spent quite a bit of time playing around with the positioning of the pattern pieces before cutting out.


I am really pleased with how this turned out and I am glad I spent that extra time at the beginning of the project. It would have looked terrible if the same large pattern motifs had been placed side by side.


The hems were all sewn with a very narrow zig zag stitch because I was being lazy and couldn't be bothered setting up the twin needle. They all look fine and have enough stretch to prevent the thread from breaking.


This is actually my second Jungle January item sewn this month. The first is yet to be photographed...hopefully this weekend. It features a zebra print. Have you sewn something up for Jungle January yet?

Happy Sewing

22 comments:

  1. You always look so elegant! Lovely top and it's in my favorite colors, too. :) Another beautiful garment in your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for that lovely comment Nursebennett. I think this top will work well with garments I already have in my wardrobe.

      Delete
  2. You are absolutely sewing up a storm at the moment! This is such a great work outfit. I am currently trying to revamp my work wardrobe and since both these patterns are in my stash, you can probably now guess what I'll be starting with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lara.I did manage to fit quite a bit of sewing into my Christmas/New Year break from work. You often inspire me with your Style Arc makes.

      Delete
  3. Love this on you. Effortless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manju. It's great when you can put together a stylish outfit, relatively effortlessly.

      Delete
  4. Now that's a stylish use of animal print for as you probably know, they're not my favourite fabric. Great pattern placement too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. Sorry to hear you are not a fan of animal print. Jungle January is always a lot of fun.

      Delete
  5. This is another brilliant top. I love the pattern placement, you did such a great job. I tend to forget about such things until it's too late. You really are the boss of the StyleArc patterns!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very easy to rush ahead to get a garment finished quickly, only to regret taking your time at the planning stage. This is my new favourite top and it's so easy to wear. Thanks for your lovely comment Sue.

      Delete
  6. Elegant outfit! I didn't start my Jumgle January sewing yet. Maybe I should, as you're right, nothing like animal print to camouflage those extra Christmas pounds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne. Looking forward to seeing what you make for Jungle January.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work! The fabric is so special, and I agree that you really used the print placement very well. I am working on a Jungle January item, and mine also happens to be zebra print! Can't wait to see what your second entry looks like. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Abbey. I'll keep my eye out for your zebra print.

      Delete
  8. Lovely fabric for that top and you look very stylish in that outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your very kind comment Sue, much appreciated.

      Delete
  9. It's a lovely print - the vertical lines make it so flattering. It certainly looks very smart, and will be a classic for quite some time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz. I wore this top again to work this week with my black Style Arc Sara skirt for a different look.

      Delete
  10. I might have to buy this pattern. I have wanted a top in this style for a while but my big 4 one I am a little on the fence over. Yours looks lovely and so comfortable for work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has become my new favourite top for work Andrea. You should give it a try, I think you will like it.

      Delete